1. for one thing (1.3) 一來(用來舉出理由)
I don’t want this gold watch. For one thing, I cannot afford it; for another, it is ugly.
2. for ages (1.5) 很長時間
We haven’t seen each other for ages.
3. wait for sb. or st (1.6) 等待
Whom are you waiting for?
4. look for sb. or st = search for sb. or st (1.6) 尋找
They are looking for their missing dog.
5. (A) be famous / noted / celebrated / distinguished for N (原因) (1.10) 因…有名
(B) be famous / noted / celebrated / distinguished as N (身分)
(C) be notorious for N (原因) (1.10) 因…惡名昭彰
(D) be notorious as N (身分)
(1) Switzerland is famous for its beautiful scenery.
(2) He is famous as a writer.
(3) The ruler is notorious for his cruelty.
(4) The ruler is notorious as a tyrant.
6. be hungry for st. (1.10) 渴望 = be eager for st = be anxious for st = desire st
= long for st
Many young people are hungry for excitement and adventure.
7. be late for (2.3) 遲到
Never be late for an appointment.
8. supply sb with st = supply st to sb = provide sb with st = provide st for sb
= offer sb st = offer st to sb 供應
My parents supply me with everything I need.
= My parents supply everything I need to me.
9. for sure (2.7) 確定地
I don't know for sure what happened to him.
10. for instance = for example (3.1) 例如
Nothing has gone right for me recently. Yesterday, for instance, I failed two exams.
11. stand for st (3.2) 代表
AIDS stands for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
12. made a request for st (3.5) 請求
He made a request fro further information.
13. be headed for a certain place (3.5) 前往
We are headed for the baseball park.
14. (A) admire sb for st (3.9) 欽佩
(B) thank sb for st 感謝
(C) apologize to sb for st 道歉
I admire you for your courage.
15. pray (to God) for sb / st (4.1) 祈禱
(1) Let's pray for the homeless children on the street.
(2) The farmers prayed to God for rain.
16. feel / have compassion for sb = take pity on sb (4.1) 同情
Children should be taught to feel compassion for the poor, the hungry, and those in
17. respect sb / st = show respect for sb / st = be respectful to sb / st (4.4) 尊敬
I respect my parents. = I show respect for my parents.
= I am respectful to my parents.
18. for a certain reason (4.6) 基於某種理由
He was absent for no reason.
19. reach for st (4.7) 伸手去拿
He reached for his gun when he felt threatened.
20. pay (sb) (money) for st (4.10) 付錢
He paid the storekeeper a lot of money for a new wallet.
21. account fo st (4.11) 說明；解釋
We ask you to account for your absence yesterday.
22. have a talent for st (5.3) 有天份
He has a talent for singing.
23. leave a place for another place (5.4) 離開
He is leaving Taipei for Tainan tonight.
24. ask for sb (5.4) 求見
A man at the counter is asking for your manager.
25. take A for B = make A for B (5.7) 把 A當成B
They take me for a fool.
26. save … fro a rainy day (5.10) 未雨綢繆
It is wise of you to save money for a rainy day.
27. once and for all (5.11) 最後一次
Once and for all, did you take the money?
28. have a soft spot for sb. or st (6.1) 偏愛
Many children have a soft spot for the penguins at the Taipei Zoo.
29. find room for st 96.3) 有,,,,,,餘地
I can always find room for improvement for my English composition.
30. have a preference for st / st (6.9) 偏愛
My mother has a preference for that brand of coffee.
31. stand up for st. / st (6.10) 表態支持
Thank you for standing up for me when I was being mistreated.
32. It is (high) time for N (6.10) 該是……的時候
= It is (high) time (for sb) to V = It is (high) time that S + should + V
=It is (high) time that S + V-ed (假設法)
It is time for bed. = It is time for you to go to bed.
= It is time that you should go to bed. = It is time that you went to bed.