1. speak to sb. in a certain kind of language (1.1)
He spoke to foreigners in broken English.
2. be blind in (1.2) 瞎的
He is blind in his left eye.
3. have difficulty / trouble / a hard time / fun / a good time (in) Ving / with N (1.2)
(1) He has difficulty (in) communicating with his parents.
(2) He has difficulty with his math.
4. be in good shape = in good health (1.2)
He is in good shape. = He is in good health.
5. in a rush = in a hurry = in haste (1.3) 匆忙
He left in a rush. = He left in a hurry.
6. play a … role in st (1.7) 扮演某種角色
Parents play and important role in their children's lives.
7. keep st in mind (1.9) 記在心裡
You saved my life, and I'll always keep that in mind.
8. take part in = participate in st = be involved in st (1.11) 參與
Jeff took part in many extracurricular activities, including music and sport.
9. be in a good / bad mood (1.11) 心情好/壞
cf. be in high / low spirits 興高采烈 /心情低落
(1) He is in a good mood.
(2) He was in low spirits.
10. in time (1.12) 及時
cf. on time 準時
(1) She usually gets home in time to cook dinner.
(2) He arrived on time.
11. hand st in (1.12) 繳交
Hand in your exam papers, please.
12. in short supply (2.4) 短缺
in many places, food is in short supply.
13. in return (2.5) 回報
What can I do in return for your help?
14. be rich in st. = be abundant in st (2.6) 充裕
Saudi Arabia is abundant in oil.
15. in use (2.7) 使用中
The copying machine is in use. You'll have to wait.
16. in fact = as a matter of fact (2.12) 事實上
In fact, he is a good friend of mine.
17. come in first place (3.3) 得第一名
Sarah came in first place in the contest.
18. in other words = that is = that is (3.3) 換句話說
No matter what difficulties you may meet, we believe you will succeed in the end. In other words, we have confidence in you.
19. result in = lead to = bring about = cause = give rise to (3.6) 導致
cf. result from = arise from 起因於
(1) Too much smoking resulted in his lung cancer.
(2) The fire resulted from his carelessness.
20. have faith in … = have belief in … = have trust in …. (3.7) 信任
The students have no faith in the teacher.
21. dress (oneself) in … = be dressed in … (3.9) 穿著
He is dressed in white.
22. in vain (3.9) 枉然
We tried to open the door, but in vain.
23. take an interest in … = be interested in (3.10) 對……有興趣
He takes an interest in skiing.
24. in season (3.10) 旺季；正當時令 ←→ out of season
Fruit is cheapest in season.
25. originate in N (時/地/原因) (3.12) 起源於……
cf. originate from / with sb
(1) The game originated in the ninth century.
(2) Most people's psychological problems originate in their early relationship with
(3) The style of architecture originated from / with the ancient Greeks.
26. in + Ving = when S + V (4.4)
cf. on + Ving = as soon as S + V = the moment/minute/instant S + V 一……就
(1) Be careful in crossing the street.
(2) On seeing me, he ran away.
27. in sight (4.4) 看得見 ←→ out of sight 看不見
(1) not a single person was in sight, and John began to feel frightened.
28. be in for st (4.4) 必定會遭受……；經歷
According to the weather forecast, we are in for a long dry season this year.
29. in revolt (4.7) 反抗；造反
The workers are in revolt because their employer treats them badly.
30. plug st in … (4.7) 接上電源
Plug in the TV, please.
31. put st in a new light = change the situation (4.10) 改變形勢
The discovery of this theory has put the whole thing in a new light.
32. pour in (5.2) 大量湧入
Money and food poured in from all over the country.
33. in advance (5.4) 預先
You had better make the reservations for your holiday in advance.
34. check in (5.5) 辦理登記手續
Passengers should check in two hours before their departure time.
35. consist in = lie in (5.8) 在於
Happiness consists in contentment.
36. lose no time in Ving (5.9) 立刻
Once the quest speaker arrived, the chairperson lost no time in getting the meeting
37. take in = go to see or visit (6.3)
When I go to New York for a holiday, I always take in a musical on Broadway.
38. be in charge of … = be responsible for (6.6) 負責
When our boss is away, Sam is in charge of the company.
39. take the initiative in Ving (6.6) 率先
He took the initiative in donating blood.
40. in the shade (6.7) 在陰涼處
They were sitting in the shade of a tree chatting.
41. in person (6.9) 親自
I am going to see her in person.
42. in a sense (6.10) 在某種意義上
He sent me a bunch of flowers after the Quarrel. In a sense he was making an
43. be (deeply) rooted in (6.10) 根源於
His fear of darkness is rooted in an unpleasant memory from his childhood.
44. in print (6.11) 已印好；已出版
He was very proud to see his article in print. He gave copies to all of his friends.
45. major in st 主修
minor in st (6.12) 副修
She majors in astronomy and hopes to become an astronomer some day