1. fall on (1.4) 適逢
Halloween falls on October 31.
2. play a trick on sb (1.4) 惡作劇
He always plays a trick on me.
3. on the other hand (1.7) 另一方面
The job doesn’t pay well, but on the other hand, you just have to work four hours a day.
4. have a … effect / influence on N (1.7) 對……有影響
Some TV programs have a bad effect on small children.
5. on time (1.8) 準時
The train arrived on time.
6. on one’s knees (1.8) 跪下
She got down on her knees to pray.
7. on the / one’s way to N (1.8) 在……途中
On my way home, I met Jane.
8. depend on sb for st (1.11) 依賴
Small children depend on their parents for almost everything.
9. on hand (1.12) 在手邊
The nurse will be on hand if you need her.
10. set one’s heart on st (2.2) 醉心於
He set his heart on the bike.
11. let on (2.2) 使人以為
The old man likes to let on that he is very rich.
12. compliment sb on st (2.5) 讚美
I must compliment you on your progress in English.
13. congratulate sb on N / Ving (2.5) 恭賀
(1) We congratulated him on his good exam results.
(2) We congratulated him on having passed the entrance exam.
14. on sale (2.5) 拍賣
The shirt is only NT$500. I bought it on sale.
15. (people) live on (food/money) (2.5) 以……為主食；以……過活
(animals) feed on (food) (6.2) 以……為主食
(1) We Chinese live on rice.
(2) It’s hard for him to live on NT$5.000 a month.
(3) Cattle and sheep feed on grass.
16. on one’s own (2.6) 靠自己
His father is the president of the company, but he got his job on his own.
17. to be on the safe side (2.9) 以防萬一
The sun is shining, but I will take an umbrella to be on the safe side.
18. on purpose = purposely = intentionally 故意 ←→ by accident = accidentally
He said that on purpose.
19. on earth = in the world 世界上；究竟
(1) There are many animals on earth.
(2) Where on earth do you live?
20. catch on = become popular (2.12) 風行；流行開來
The hair style caught on in Taipei soon.
21. insist that S (should) V (3.1) 堅持
insist on N / Ving
(1) Some people insisted that the criminal (should) be put to death at once.
(2) Some people insisted on the criminal’s being put to death at once.
22. on the principle (3.2) 在原則上
The business I run on the principle that the customer is always right.
23. be based on (3.2) 以……為基礎
This movie is based on a novel.
24. go on a date with sb = have a date with sb = date sb (3.3) （男女）約會
have an appointment with sb (6.2) 約會
(1) Tom will have a date with Mary tonight.
(3) I will have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow.
25. put/place/lay emphasis/stress on st = emphasize st = stress st (3.6) 強調
The book puts great emphasis on love for each other.
26. take revenge on sb for st = revenge oneself on sb for st = be revenged on sb for st (3.10) 報復
He decided not to take revenge on his wife for her disloyalty.
27. go on Ving 繼續做同一件事
go on with st 繼續做同一件事
go on to V 繼續另一件事
(1) He went on doing his homework after a short break.
= He went on with his homework after a short break.
(2) After washing the dishes, she went on to sweep the floor.
28. knock on wood (3.12) 託神明保佑
I haven't been sick this year, knock on wood.
29. on / upon Ving = as soon as + S + V = the moment / minute + S + V (4.4)
On seeing me, he ran away. = As soon as he saw me, he ran away.
= The moment he saw me, he ran away.
30. settle on st. (4.5) = decide on 決定
Let's settle on the day for the meeting.
31. be / get hooked on st. (4.6) 喜歡上
He got hooked on surfing the Internet.
32. (A) People spend time / money (in) Ving
(B) people spend time / money on st.
(1) He spends a lot of time watching TV every evening.
(2) He spends a lot of time on TV every evening.
33. on the scene (5.2) 在現場
The police were soon on the scene after the accident.
34. on business (5.4) 因公
My father went to Singapore on business.
35. pick on sb (5.10) 找某人麻煩
John always picks on children who are smaller than he is.
36. be on one's side = support sb 支持
Whatever you do, I'll be on your side.
37. put sb / st on the map (5.11) 使出名
The movie The City of Sadness put Chiufen back on the map.
38. hold on / onto st (6.1) 緊抓住
Hold onto the rope so that you won't fall down to the ground.
39. agree on / upon st (6.2) 同意
They agreed on the price for the used car.
40. depend on / upon sb / st = rely on / upon sb / st (6.9)
Whether he will go abroad for advanced learning depends on his parents' wishes.
41. on the advice of sb (6.4) 聽從某人的建議
Jason gave up a well-paid job and studied abroad on the advice of his parents.
42. cast a spell on sb. (6.7) 施魔咒於
Some people believe that a spell has been cast on the Kennedy family.
43. (A) switch st on = turn st on 打開電源
(B) switch st off = turn st off (6.9) 關閉電源
It is getting cold in here. Please switch on the heater.
44. on occasion (6.9) 偶而 = occasionally = sometimes = at times = now and then
= once in a while = from time to time
My father is a serious man but, on occasion, he is funny.
45. be on display = be displayed (6.9) 展示
His latest works will be on display at eh art gallery next week.
46. on demand (6.10) 一經要求
911 is an official organization that provides emergency aid on demand.