1. stay out (3.3) 天黑後待在外頭不回家
2. figure sb / st out (3.1) 理解 = realize
I cannot figure out why he left in a hurry.
3. help sb out (3.5) 在急困時幫忙他人
I will always remember Jane helped me out when I lost my job.
4. break out (3.6) (戰爭、火災、疾病)爆發
(1) World War I broke out in 1914.
(2) A fire broke out in my neighborhood last night.
5. cut st out (3.10) 停止
The doctor suggested that my father (should) cut out smoking.
6. stick st out (4.2) 伸出
A naughty boy stuck out his tongue and made a face.
7. (A) carry st out (4.5) = realize st = make st real 實現
(B) come true (vi) 實現
(1) He tried hard to carry out his dream.
(2) He is glad that his dream has come true.
8. put st out (4.5) 熄滅
Please put out your cigarette.
9. Watch out ! (4.6) = Look out! = Be careful!
10. be worn out (4.10) = be exhausted 筋疲力竭
He worked until he was completely worn out.
11. bring st out (5.2) 顯出某人特質
Adversity may bring out the best and the worst in people.
12. give st out (5.2) = hand st out = distribute st 分發
The teacher is giving out the exam papers to the students.
13. get …out of … (5.6) 從…中得到
To get the most out your money, you have to be a smart investor.
14. out of one’s mind (5.10) 瘋狂
You were out of your mind to have lent him all your money.
15. day in and day out (5.10) 日復一日
My father works day in and day out.
16. tune sb / st out (6.4) 不理睬；無視於 = pay no attention to sb / st
Tune ut your worries about doing everything perfectly all the time.
17. count st out (6.5) 某人不算在內
A: Who is coming to play tennis this afternoon? B: Count me out.