1. make it a rule to VR (1.1) 經常
I make it a rule to exercise every day.
2. be sure to VR (1.9) 務必
Be sure to turn off the light before you leave the room.
3. have got to VR = have to VR (1.9) 必須
You have got to come earlier tomorrow.
4. be supposed to VR = should VR = ought to VR = be obliged to VR (2.9) 應該
You are not supposed to use offensive words to describe someone's race.
5. be about to VR (2.11) 即將
The telephone rang just as I was about to leave.
6. (A) used to VR (3.6) 過去習慣或過去事實
(B) be / get used to N /Ving
(1) I used to be fat. = I was fat.
(2) I am used to getting up early.
7. seek to VR = try to VR (4.1) 試圖
Many countries are seeking to slow population growth.
8. pressure sb to VR (4.1) 巷某人施壓
My presents pressured my sister to study medicine.
9. (A) be anxious to VR = be eager to VR = desire to VR = long to VR (4.3) 渴望
(B) be eager for st = desire st = long for st
(1) He is anxious to know if anyone has found the camera he lost.
(2) People all over the world long for peace.
10. determine to VR = decide to VR = be determined to VR = resolve to VR (4.5) 決心
= be resolved to VR
11. manage to VR (4.5) = succeed in Ving 辦到 ←→ fail to VR 未能
He managed to retain control of the old car.
12. be prone to VR (4.8) 易於；傾向於 = tend to VR
He is prone to lose his temper when people disagree with him.
13. bid sb (to) VR = tell / order sb to VR
14. be willing to VR (4.10) 樂意 ←→ be reluctant to VR 不情願
He is willing to help those who are in need.
15. enable sb to VR (4.12) 使某人能夠
Computers enable us to do things better.
16. (A) convince sb to VR (5.1) 說服 = persuade sb to VR
(B) convince sb of sb 使相信
(C) convinced sb that S + V 使相信
(1) The salesman convinced her to buy a vacuum cleaner.
(2) The man tried to convince the judge of his innocence, but in vain.
(3) The man tried to convince the judge that he was innocent, but in vain.
17. inspire sb to VR (5.3) 激勵；給人啟示
18. S + V, only to VR (5.4) 和預期結果相反
He went to the beach, only to be drowned.
19. so as to VR = in order to VR = with an eye to N / Ving = with a view to N/Ving 為了
He got up early so as to catch the first bus.
= He got up early with an eye to catching the first bus.
20. motivate sb to VR (6.6) 引起動機
The teacher tried every means to motivate his students to work harder.
21. get up the nerve to VR (6.6) 鼓起勇氣
Tom got up the nerve to ask Jane out.
22. proceed to VR (6.9) 繼續 = continue to VR
After a short break, they proceeded to discuss the matter.
23. have no option / choice but to VR (6.9) = cannot but VR = cannot help but VR
= cannot help Ving 只好；忍不住
On hearing his joke, we had no option but to laugh.
24. be bound to VR (6.9) 一定 = be sure to VR
He is bound to come this afternoon.