I. 介係詞的 to
1. a certain attitude toward / to sb / st (1.1) 態度
He has changed his attitude toward his children.
2. according to (1.1) = based on 根據
According to the weather report, a typhoon will strike Taiwan soon.
3. thanks to (1.1) = because of = as a result of = owing to = due to 幸虧；由於
Thanks to my friend’s help, I have learned to have a positive attitude toward life.
4. There is no short cut to learning. (1.1) 學問無捷徑
5. jump to a conclusion (1.2) 遽下結論
She is always jumping to a conclusion.
6. face to face (1.9) 面對面
I was late to school and tried to sneak in through the back door, but I came face to face
with my teacher.
7. award sb. st = award st to sb (1.11) 頒獎
She was awarded a medal for her bravery.
8. listen to sb / st (1.12) 聽
I listen to the news broadcast every day.
9. be addicted to N / Ving (1.12) 上癮
He is addicted to drugs / alcohol.
10. help oneself to st (2.3) 自行取用
Please help yourself to some more cake.
11. subscribe to st (2.9) 訂閱
Tom subscribed to several English magazines / newspapers.
12. (A) prefer N to N 喜歡…甚於…
(B) prefer Ving to Ving 寧願…而不願…
= prefer to VR rather than VR (2.12)
= would VR rather than VR
= would rather VR than VR
(1) He prefers coffee to tea.
(2) He prefers staying at home to going out.
13. pay attention to sb / st (3.2) = be attentive to sb / st 注意
He didn't pay attention to what the doctor said.
14. add A to B (3.3) 添加
Please add some more salt to the soup.
15. (A) in addition to sb / st (3.3) = besides sb / st 除了….之外 (＋)
(B) except sb / st 除了….之外 (－)
(1) Besides coffee, he likes tea. = I like both coffee and tea.
(2) The museum is open every day except Mondays. That is, the museum is closed on Mondays.
(3) It was a good hotel except (that) it was rather noisy.
16. switch to (3.5) 轉乘
There is no bus going in that direction. You can take bus number 218 and get off at
the city museum and then switch to bus number 285.
17. devote / dedicate oneself to N / Ving (3.7) = be devoted / dedicated to N / Ving 致力於
She devoted herself to helping the poor. = She was devoted to helping the poor.
18. turn to sb for st (3.8) 轉而求助於
I turn to my parents for help when I have trouble.
19. to this day (3.12) 至今
To this day, I do not know what I said was wrong.
20. yield to sb / st (4.1) 屈服於
He yielded to temptation and had another chocolate.
21. adapt (oneself) to N / Ving = be adapted to N Ving (4.2) 使適應
She adapted (herself) quickly to the new school life.
22. get to a place = arrive in / at a place = reach a place (4.6) 抵達
(1) He will get to Taipei tonight.
(2) He will arrive in Taipei tonight.
(3) He will reach the village tonight.
23. be sensitive to st (4.11) 對…敏感
The baby is sensitive to noise.
24. relate A to B (4.11) 使有關係
The report relates the rise in crime to an increase in unemployment.
25. (A) respond to st (4.11) 反應
(B) react to st 反應
(c) replay to sb 回答；答覆
(1) He responded to my question with a nod.= He replied to my question with a nod.
(2) I won't react / respond to his rudeness. I don't want an argument.
26. (A) do sb. / st harm = do harm to sb / st = be harmful to sb / st (4.12) 對…有害
(B) do sb / st good = do good to sb / st = be good for sb / st 對…有益
(1) Smoking will do you harm. = Smoking will do harm to you.
= Smoking will be harmful to you.
(2) Jogging will do you good. = Jogging will do good to you.
= Jogging will be good for you.
27. bring st to life (4.12) 對…注入生命
A good actor can bring a character to life.
28. expose sb / st to st 使…暴露於…
(1) It is not good to expose one's skin to the sun for a long time.
(2) Students should expose themselves to good books as often as possible.
29. restrict sb to N/ Ving 限制
He restricted himself to (drinking) only a small glass of wine a day.
30. endear A to B (6.1) 使A受到B的喜愛
She endeared herself to everyone very soon.
31. be loyal to sb (6.1) 忠誠於
Mr. Brown is loyal to his wife.
32. (A) apply to school (6.8) 申請學校
(B) apply to sb / st 適用於
(C) apply st to a certain field 應用於
(1) He applied to three universities and was accepted by all of them.
(2) The new law can apply to all foreigners with working permit.
(3) The result of the reach is applied to new development in human cloning.
33. draw to an end (6.8) = come to and end 接近尾聲
The party drew to an end at midnight.
34. be adjacent to (6.9) = be next to 在旁邊
Our office building is adjacent to the park.
35. prior to (6.9) = before
They had a rehearsal prior to the performance.
36. object to N / Ving = be opposed to N / Ving (6.9) 反對
This is a non-smoking car. I strongly object to your smoking here.
37. drink to sb / st (6.9) 為…祝酒
Let’s drink to the success of our plan.
38. be senior to (6.9) = be older than
be junior to = be younger than
be superior to = be better than 優於
be inferior to = be worse than 劣於
be prior to = be earlier than 早於
He is senior to me.
39. look forward to N / Ving (6.9) 盼望
We are looking forward to seeing him.
40. fall heir to st (6.10) 成為…的繼承人
To everyone’s surprise, he fell heir to his late uncle’s fortune.
41. sentence sb to st (6.11) 判刑
He was sentenced to death / life imprisonment / two years in prison / a fine of $5,000.
42. be traced back to … = date back to … (6.12) 追溯
This castle dates back to the 14th century.
43. to one’s 情緒名詞
to one’s joy = to one’s delight to one’s sorrow to ones anger
to one’s regret to one’s surprise to one’s disappointment to one’s relief
44. (A) be married to sb 嫁；娶
(B) be divorced from sb 離婚
(1) He is married to a famous writer.
(2) She was divorced from her husband.