1. A is different from B in … (1.4) 不同 = A differs from B in …
This car is different from that car in color.
= This car differs from that car in color.
2. stop … from … (1.4) 阻止 = prevent … from = keep … from
The heavy rain stopped me from going out.
3. (A) hear from sb (1.5) 接到來信
(B) hear of sb / st 聽說
(1) I haven't heard from her for a long time?
(2) Have you ever heard of Bill Gates?
(3) Have you ever heard of Mt Everest?
4. separate A from B (2.10) 分開
The Taiwan Strait separates Taiwan form the Province of Fukien .
5. protect st / st from Ving 保護
We should protect our environment from being polluted.
6. from afar (3.7) 從遠方
I saw him from afar.
7. delete sb / st from … (4.5) 刪除
She asked me to delete some words from my composition.
8. (A) discourage sb from Ving (4.10) 勸阻
(B) encourage sb to V 鼓勵
(1) Parents should discourage their children from smoking.
(2) My teacher encouraged us to study harder.
9. derive … from … (5.11) 由 …… 獲得
He derives a lot of pleasure from meeting new people.
10. distinguish A from B (6.1) 區別 = distinguish between A and B
= tell A from B = tell A and B apart
It is hard to distinguish John from his twin brother.
11. shrink from Ving (6.3) 畏縮
He always shrank from making a speech.
12. segregate A from B (6.10) 隔離
The two groups of football fans must be segregated from each other.
13. alienate A from B (6.10) 疏離
Many elderly people feel alienated from society.