1. be proud of sb / st = take pride in sb / st = pride oneself on st (1.1) 以…為榮
I hope that my parents will be proud of me.
2. be ashamed of sb / st (6.10) 以…為恥
You should be ashamed of yourself for cheating in the exam.
3. in front of N (1.1) ←→ in back of N
There is a tree in front of my house.
4. be afraid of N / Ving (1.1) 害怕
(1) He is afraid of snakes.
(2) She is afraid of sleeping alone.
5. be composed of = be made up of = consist of (1.1) 由…組成
The class is composed of 40 boys. = The class is made up of 40 boys.
= The class consists of 40 boys.
6. a lot of = plenty of = a large quantity of (1.1)
(1) He has plenty of money.
(2) He has plenty of friends.
7. (A) remind sb of st (1.4) 提醒
(B) remind sb to VR
(C) remind sb that S + V
The computer reminded me of my date with my boyfriend.
8. inform sb of sb (1.5) 告知 = notify sb of st (6.9)
Have you informed the police of the theft?
9. (A) in case of N (1.5) 倘若
(B) in case S + V
(1) In case of fire, call 911.
(2) In case as fire breaks out, call 911.
10. (A) think of sb / st (1.7) 想到
(B) think about sb / st 想
(C) comp up with st 想出
(1) Every time he sees a girl with long hair, he thinks of his ex-girlfriend.
(2) What are you thinking about?
(3) Finally, he came up with the answer.
11. instead of N / Ving (2.1) 取代
(1) Instead of coffee, I like tea.
(2) Instead of going out, he stayed at home.
12. let go of st (2.2) 放棄
The man wouldn’t let go of the rope.
13. of one’s own (2.7) 某人自己的
This is a car of my own.
14. be tired of st / Ving (2.8) = be sick of st / Ving 厭倦
I am tired of eating the same food every day.
15. (A) be worthy of N (B) be worthy of being p.p. (C) be worthy to be p.p.
(D) be worth N (E) be worth Ving 值得
(1) The problem is worthy of our attention.
= The problem is worth our attention.
(2) The book is worthy of being read.
= The book is worthy to be read.
= The book is worth reading.
16. regardless of (3.1) 不管；不顧
He bought the painting regardless of the price.
17. (A) cure sb (3.8) (B) cure a disease (C) cure sb of a disease 治療
(1) The doctor cured me.
(2) The doctor cured my headache.
(3) The doctor cured me of my headache.
18. ask sb of st (3.9) 問
(1) He asked me a question. = He asked a question of me.
(2) He asked me a favor. = He asked a favor of me.
19. all walks of life (3.11) 各行各業
People from all walks of life are learning how to use computers.
20. get rid of sb / st (3.11) 擺脫
(1) He is trying to get rid of the girl.
(2) You should try hard to get rid of the bad habit.
21. be symbolic of = symbolize (4.4) 象徵
The dove is symbolic of peace.
22. a sense of hearing 聽覺 a sense of sight 視覺 a sense of touch 觸覺
a sense of smell 嗅覺 a sense of taste 味覺
23. (A) of N = adj. (4.8)
(B) with N = adv.
(1) He is a man of importance. = He is an important man.
(2) He works with efficiency. = He works efficiently.
a man of wisdom = a wise man a girl of beauty = a beautiful girl
a man of wealth = a wealthy man a boy of honesty = an honesty man
a musician of talent = a talented musician
an animal of great strength = a very strong animal
24. (A) be aware of st (4.8) = know st
(B) be aware that S + V
He is not aware of my absence. = he is not aware that I am absent.
25. a matter of + N (4.8) 大約
Why didn’t you buy him a balloon? It was just a matter coins.
26. fall out of love (4.9) 失戀 ←→ fall in love
He was sad because he fell out of love.
27. (A) think of … as … (4.11) = regard / view / see … as … = look on … as …
(B) think / consider … (to be) … 認為
(1) We all think of him as polite.
(2) We all think him polite.
28. be terrified of (5.4) 非常害怕
I’m terrified of snakes.
29. most of all (5.5) = most importantly
Most o all, stay calm in case of emergency.
30. make the most of (5.6) 好好利用
It is my first holiday for two years, so I am going to make the most of it.
31. by way of (5.9) 經由
The plane goes to Seattle by way of Tokyo.
32. (A) a stack of (5.9) = a pile of 一堆 （整齊）
(B) a heap of 一堆 （不整齊）
There is a stack of books on his desk.
33. in search of (5.11) 尋找（介係詞片語）
He went in search of a doctor for his sick son.
34. search for = look for 尋找（動詞片語）
He went to search for a doctor for his sick son.
35. get hold of (6.2) = find
Please get hold of the manager; there are two customers waiting for her.
36. be capable of Ving = be able to VR
Poetry is capable of opening up new worlds to us.
37. speak of sb / st (6.7) 提及 = mention sb / st = refer to sb / st
Is he the one that you spoke of last night?
38. scores of (6.7) = many
Scores of people in the town have heard of the accident.
39. know of sb / st (6.7) 知道
I know of the girl, but I am not familiar with her.
40. be appreciate of st (6.8) = appreciate st
I am appreciative of your help. = I appreciate your help.
41. not much of a + N (6.9) 不善於
My mother is not much of a cook.
42. in spite of = despite (6.10) 儘管
The plan failed in spite of all the efforts that everyone made.
=The plan failed although / though everyone had made efforts.
43. be ignorant of st (6.11) 無知的；毫無所悉的
The premier was criticized for being ignorant of the people’s suffering.
44. be aware of st (6.11) = be conscious of sb = realize st 察覺到；知道
He was aware of the danger of keeping bad company and decided to leave his friends.
45. (A) rob sb of st 搶
(B) steal st from sb 偷
(1) He robbed the old lady of her purse.
(2) She stole a wallet from an old man.
46. deprive sb of st 剝奪
They were deprived of their civil rights.