1. look st up (1.1) 查閱
I looked the new word up in the dictionary.
2. live it up (1.3) 狂歡作樂
3. dress up (1.4) 盛裝
If it is a formal occasion, dress up.
4. light st up (1.4) 照亮
You light up my life and give me hope.
5. make st up (19) 編造
He made up the story.
6. show up (2.2) = appear
We waited until she showed up.
7. open st up (2.29) 開拓開發
The building of the free way has opened up business for the town.
8. set st up (2.12) = establish st 成為
My brother is setting up a new company.
9. end up (3.3) (6.5) 結果成為
(1) If you continue to steal, you will end up in prison.
(2) If you keep drinking like that, you will end up dead.
(3) My sister intended to study abroad in England , but she ended up going t o Australia .
10. grow up (3.3) 長大
He grew up in Taipei .
11. break up with sb (3.3) 分手
He has just broken up with his girlfriend.
12. (A) pick st up 撿起某物
(B) pick sb up (3.6) 用車接人
(1) Pick up the trash.
(2) I'll pick you up at 7 o'clock.
13. clean st up (3.11) 清除乾淨
I usually help my mother clean up the mess in the kitchen after dinner.
14. hang up (5.4) 掛電話
I am sorry I cannot hear you clearly. Hang up the phone and I will call you back.
15. up to (5.5) 高達
Up t o forty people were killed in the accident.
16. up to date ←→ out of date
up-to-date ←→ out-of-date
(1) She likes to buy the most up-to-date clothes.
(2) She wears clothes that are up to date.
17. ups and downs (6.1) 起起落落
There are ups and downs in life.
18. tune st up (6.6) 調整
The engine of the car needs to be tuned up.